To date, I have applied a wide lens to my cloud watching to get a good feel for the entire space. As a result, I published my "cloud-o-gram" and numerous posts on developments, perspectives and conversations that caught my attention.
For the start of 2010, specifically the next 100 days, I’m going to narrow my cloud watching lens to enterprise cloud computing considerations. My plan is to apply 2 – 5 research sessions to each enterprise consideration and publish my findings along the way, via elemental cloud computing cloud watch entries and blog posts.
At the end of my list, or 100-days, whichever comes first, I’ll summarize my findings in a research report.
Reviewing my current calendar, the 100th research day is May 21. Like all good (former) developers, I’ve buffered with Saturday mornings.
My starting list of enterprise cloud computing considerations follows.
Enterprise Cloud Computing Considerations
- Adoption Trends: Cloud Computing Environment (CCE) Models, Industry, Use Cases
- Business of IT: Funding Models, Governance, Outsourcing and Contracts, Metrics and Scorecards (Internal, Alliance), Billing & Metering (Payment)
- Business Risk: Assurance, Service Level Agreements, Control, Risk, Security, Legal, Compliance
- CCE Readiness: Interoperability, Portability, Standards, Reliability
- Data: Location, Safety, Quality, Consistency, Accessibility, Reconciliation, Format
- Economics: Fixed Duration, Cost of Capability over Time, Value (Financial, Time, Innovation, Sustainability)
- Enterprise Portfolio Implications: SOA, ITIL, Existing Vendor Viability & Focus, Application Package Transformation
- Enterprise Readiness: Software Design, Software Licenses, People, Process, Data/Integration
- Marketplace: Suppliers, Capacity Availability (Supply & Demand), Pricing
- Rouge Adoption: Civilian Development, R&D
- Use Case Selection: Workload Selection, Business Capability Selection
While I don’t plan to attack the list alphabetically, my first research area is adoption trends. If you have additions to the enterprise cloud computing considerations list, or perspective to share on any listed item, please leave a comment, send an email, or ping me on Twitter.
|Follow the 100-day cloud watch on Twitter.|
[cross posted from Elemental Cloud Computing.]